Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Memories From The Sixties (Poem by Me)

I remember when...

I could finally where pants to school
No more frilly little dresses for me
It was easier to play on the monkey bars, too.

We finally acquired a
Big black and white TV
I cried for joy watching Lassie escape another dangerous situation
And I watched the Beatles appear
On the Ed Sullivan show
For the first time
With our country western listening dad yelling
“Oh no, hippie music.”

I got my first pair of go-go boots
And felt just like a movie star.

People said “Right On” and “Groovy”
And gave each other the Peace sign.

John F. Kennedy gave a speech in New York
And I couldn’t see it
So my dad lifted me high on his shoulders
Even though I didn’t know much about things political
I knew I was in the presence of a great man.

And I remember when
I wore my first P.O.W. bracelet
And hoped for war to end
Still hope for it to end today.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Although I grew up in the 80s... I feel a bit nostalgic about those times and the innocence they held verses the time I currently live in as well.

Your poem is very well done, simply put... it is beautiful. Thank you for sharing it!

namesconnie said...

Thank you Emily. Sincerely, Connie