Saturday, May 10, 2008

Becoming A Vegetarian

I became a vegetarian in my early twenties. I didn't do so well and looked pretty sickly. So I gave it up. Then about 7 years ago I developed health problems and I was told to cut down on fats and only eat meat about the size of the palm of your hand. Well, I was from a big meat eating family. Meat was always the center of any meal we had. It certainly was tough to limit it to the size of the palm of my hand. At any given meal I always wanted at least two pieces of chicken, or 3 bbq ribs, or one good size steak. So I knew I was in for a big challenge. I finally just said "Forget it, I am not eating meat anymore and I became a vegetarian." I wound up in much better health and no longer have health problems. I did see a dietitian for a few years and she helped me get on good track with doing this vegetarian thing in a healthy manner. So it was the best choice I ever made. I feel so much better physically, too. I still have to watch what I eat and have portion control and exercise daily to stay in good health. I am so grateful becoming a vegetarian not only feels good for good health, but it just feels right to not have to eat animals to survive. I seem to enjoy my meals without guilt now, too. Not saying that there is anything wrong with people who choose to eat meat. That would just be a violent thing. I also am trying to make an effort to be a non-violent person, so for me to put down anyone who ate meat would just be wrong. Just sharing my experience with becoming a vegetarian. And to each his own on what they eat or don't eat, LOL.

0 comments: