Sunday, August 31, 2008

Summer Vegetarian Soup



My friend brought over some veggies from her garden and I also had purchased some veggies at the store. So it was time for veggie soup. This is a photo of what I have in it so far and just covered it with water: Cabbage, Zucchini Squash, Garden Butternut Squash, Carrots, Sweet Onions, Garden Green Beans and Celery. I am sure before it is all over with I am going to be adding some more things to it such as some more veggies and some spices. But here is the start of it. Like the "Stone Soup" story, my soup isn't finished yet, but just wanted to show a photo of it as it just looked colorful and healthy and I am sure any of us can use some ideas for healthy foods. (What else did I add about 10 minutes before it was done cooking and veggies almost soft? I added some Onion Soup Mix for flavor, some frozen broccoli I had on hand and one can of Chopped Tomatoes with Green Chili's. I also added some seasoning salt, pepper, Italian Seasonings and Garlic Powder.) Taste tested on a teenager who said it was good, so it is worth trying. And it is nice that this is a low-calorie meal for anyone wanting to cut down on fats. I did have my soup with a rice cake and I found out this was a soup worth making again. Takes a bit with chopping up veggies, but it is worth it. Plus you can just take out any anger you have with the chopping up part, too, and you have a nice soup to show for your hard work.

0 comments: