Sunday, April 27, 2008

Surviving abuse


Today I feel more like the front part of this photo - beautiful. In the past I felt like the back part of the photo - like dirt all due to abuses upon me. This morning I spent time reading some stories about women who overcame adversity. It is amazing to hear how they got themselves out of these situations. Ironically the book was written by a man, but he allows the women to tell their stories. It is called "Women: American Women In Their Own Words" by Mark Baker. It was copyrighted in 1990 so it is a bit dated, but I liked reading some of the stories in it. The women are very candid about their lives. Some of them were not so lucky and they just stayed with their husbands who were abusive, just settling. Others got the courage to get out of abusive relationships. I could relate to some of them just being stuck. It happens to lots of women. I am grateful there is not an abusive man in my life. I do hope to meet a nice man around my age someday though. In the meantime I want to stay more like the flowers feeling happy and free to enjoy the day regardless of my background being dark.

0 comments: