Monday, April 28, 2008

Some Memories

When I stumbled upon these lawn ornaments I thought back to the days in Miami Beach when I was a little kid back in the sixties. There were all these houses and buildings in bright pink colors. I even saw a real flamingo or two back then. Pink was my favorite color and I remember getting a bright pink colored bike for Christmas. I had fun riding it around that Christmas morning. I went into get a drink of water with my brothers. We had left our bikes out on the lawn while we did this. We were in the house for about 5 minutes. When we came back out there were all our brand new bikes missing. Talk about the crying that went on that Christmas. It seemed to just be standard for all of our stuff to get stolen on a regular basis. First all my moms expensive jewelry. Then it was her car being stolen almost daily. She would have to call the police and sure enough they would find it somewhere on the other side of town. Someone took it for a joy ride or some unknown ride. After a year of this, plus the big hurricane we were in, my mom packed us all up in the car and off to California we drove. Los Angeles was our destination. Plenty of crime there, but at the time of my childhood we weren't affected by it because we were only there a short while. We wound up moving to the suburbs and lived in some nice rental homes there. My brother wound up getting some used bikes at yard sales and fixed them all for all of us. He wound up opening up a bike shop out of the garage and fixed all the neighborhood kids bikes for them or got kids bikes who didn't have any. Out of adversity good things can happen. That same brother has been a great businessman all his life since.

0 comments: