Thursday, October 2, 2008

My Silly Monster Like Looking Homemade Apple Pie




Sometimes I just go about cooking up stuff and don't even give it much thought. I just pick some random internet recipe and then even just make up stuff as I go along. This is my downfall in cooking. I need to find more reliable recipes and then follow them exactly as they are.

Well, the main thing about an apple pie is to have a good pie crust. My pie crust didn't turn out so good, but the apples inside it tasted really good. So next time I am going to just buy the already made crusts. That will go better for me. This pie had a whole wheat crust. The bottom crust was fine, but the top was way too tough - like cardboard actually.

I made a few mistakes. I substituted light margarine for the butter. And then I think I poked too many holes in the top. I was to just make about 3 slits in the top like I have always done when I made pies. I used a fork and pin pricked it in many places and I have no idea why I did that. I think I did it because I poked holes in the bottom crust and then because it was such a late hour in making this pie, I was probably half asleep doing it. Something told me not to poke holes in the top, but I did anyhow. That was the downfall of the top crust being tough, from what I can tell.

Regardless, it still felt good to make an apple pie even if I was a bit tired when I made it. I will rely on already made pie crusts next time unless someone has a good pie crust recipe they would like to pass on? Or a suggestion for a good cook book with easy to follow recipes and directions. I used to have a great Better Homes and Gardens one and my mom had The Joy of Cooking. I will look into seeing if I can get those again.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your pie looks very attractive ) Hope one day I will try to make the same

namesconnie said...

Thanks for your kind comments Angel and Miss AJ. Liked your good tips too Miss AJ. Take care. Sincerely, Connie

soulbrush said...

ha ha you are brave...looks yummy.