Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Becoming a Vegan After 10 years as a Vegetarian

I recently became a Vegan. So I am experimenting with cooking new ways. I look at lots of recipes, even meat ones, and see ways I can convert them over to being Vegan using tofu or other vegan protein products. It is fun experimenting with new recipes I just make up. Usually I just see what good things I have on hand and then experiment making things. It is fun doing this.

So far some things I have made were:
Spicy Lentils: Lentils, Onions, Tomatoes, Spices, Hot Sauce (Served over rice)
The same spicy lentils mixed with some pasta sauce with fried veggie ground round and onions and served over pasta

Tamari fried tofu served with a salad, tomatoes, green olives and nuts (your choice of dressing, but I use some rice vinegar and oil on mine)

Garlic Broiled Toasted Sub Roll: I then put on lettuce, Avocado, Tomatoes and Tofu.

Rye Toast Sandwich: Horseradish on the Rye toast and then some tofu and sliced tomatoes. Just a fast easy flavorful thing to have. Have to love Horseradish. (You could put more veggies on this, too.)

Stir fries of veggies and serve over rice

Oatmeal and raisins, nuts and banana with unsweetened almond milk (I put a little strawberry natural fruit jelly without sugar in there, too. It tastes yum!)

Salads: Lots of varieties of lettuces for salads. Add tomatoes, mushrooms, avocados, nuts, zucchini and you have a nice lunch.

Veggie Dinner: Microwave a yam, Microwave some asparagus, and just have some nuts with this and you have an easy dinner. Have a nice Fuji apple for dessert. Those kinds of apples taste great plain.

Other things one could make: Vegan Chili, Vegan Tacos or Burritos, Vegan Pasta Dishes, Vegan Rice Dishes, Vegan Soups. There are many recipes online or you could just make them up yourself. Make sure you have lots of condiments and spices as that helps vegan food taste even better.

Anyway, that is what I can think of for now. I know these are just some easy things I made recently. Hope to come up with some more ideas, too. If you have any good Vegan online sites, feel free to post in the comment section.

0 comments: